Friday 10 April 2020

CORONAVILLE



Products Archive - Page 7 of 8 - Tiki Soul Decorative Surfboard ..."Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they're supposed to help you discover who you are." Bernice Johnson Reagon



How Meditation Relieves A Stressful Mind, Rewires The Brain – EOC ...Does your mind often go into overdrive? Mine does quite often. I have often been told that I tend to overthink which I have come to learn it is both a blessing and a curse. Today I'm sticking to that being a blessing and by the end of this, you will realize why. I have been having quite a hard time with work lately and so have many of my friends and colleagues because of the uncertainty at this time. Whenever we in healthcare go in for a shift you really don't know how it will end for you. Will you go in and end up in isolation or quarantine due to exposure? Will there be adequate protective gear? Did I promote stigma? Is it safe enough to go home? What if I infect my loved ones? What if I have been safe all day then board a public service vehicle or take a cab and get infected there? Now do you get why I said I overthink? Maybe it is an inate trait to help with self-preservation and  I am sure I am not alone in this.


Pictures Of Feet Walking Clipart - Walking Feet Clip Art, HD Png ...After my daily shifts, I have decided to be walking home from work. Of course, in a mask and all. By doing so It has helped me put these thoughts into perspective. It has aided in giving me clarity and I have decided to embrace this pandemic instead of allowing it to take total control over my whole life. The more I do so the more I am at ease. Let me elucidate.


  1. It has retaught me the art of mindfulness.


The ABC's of Mindfulness - MediCompareAccording to the Oxford dictionary (2019), mindfulness refers to "​a mental state achieved by concentrating on the present moment, while calmly accepting the feelings and thoughts that come to you." Different studies have shown the pros and cons of this practice. Benefits from it are wholly dependent on what and how one plans to apply it. Mindfulness has made me reexamine the care I'm providing both to self in the form of self-care and the affected patients/friends and colleagues. A study done in England examining mindfulness and compassionate care showed that when properly applied it improves one's wellbeing while decreasing stress and burnout levels. The study further states that for those who applied it, it gave feelings of peace, calmness which then translated to reduced chances of feeling overwhelmed and increased their ability to engage effectively with patients while being fully present. Below are articles that provide more light into mindfulness
https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/behaviour-change/article/effects-of-a-focused-breathing-mindfulness-exercise-on-attention-memory-and-mood-the-importance-of-task-characteristics/43CA1245B506F4B96BF5B9B0EF157067
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12671-017-0740-z
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jocn.14987
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/328c/225c0a1492615d86c4254ac8f298828441a0.pdf
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5741000/


 Reflect on this:
a).If you got unwell or are currently unwell from COVID -19 how does it feel being nursed by a faceless individual in an unfamiliar environment that is limited in terms of space, human contact and you are unsure of the outcome? In addition to that, being referred to as the COVID-19 patient?

b) Are you in touch or out of touch with your patients?
 Do not compromise on personal safety just use the resources around you to humanize the care delivered. For instance,

 Do not just look at it, study this image.











2. I am learning to be grateful for the little things

Image result for gratitudeI had not realized the magnitude of the things I often take for granted. They had become so quotidian and with that, I tended to complain more instead of being appreciative.  For instance, those random trips to see a friends/family, hugs, quickly dashing outdoors for an errand, the sun on your skin, taking a walk on the beach when I felt like it, visiting the animal shelter, having a job, being able to afford amenities, etc. I am learning to stop complaining and rather to appreciate the little I have. As much as I am having days lately where I'm questioning my profession. I am glad I still have an opportunity to help someone at their worst while still being in protective gear. I am learning to appreciate those uplifting calls and messages from people checking up on me. I am grateful that currently I still have a source of income. I am grateful  I still have a roof over my head.I'm actually glad this season has reminded me of what is important.

3. It has taught me to always do your best irrespective of the task at hand.

The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today ...Honestly, Its a very stressful time to be alive but again I want to get out of it a better individual. As I had stated in a previous blog post titled Noble Truths follow the link to read it https://lilylovelong.blogspot.com/2019/12/noble-truths.html I want to die having identified my purpose and or while working towards it. Those things about self that we tend to make excuses for, this is the time to actually work on them. Get out of this season with better relationships, better your skills with online resources if you can, better fitness levels using the resources around you. That dream job or business you wish to start,  make a point of studying on how to achieve that. If nothing this pandemic has reinforced the fact that tomorrow is never guaranteed so give your best version today, put forth positive energy only and enjoy the small moments do not postpone them.

4.Lessons for my future roles, lessons in the selection of leaders


Tricky Base SAS Interview Questions | SAS CareersThe gaps identified in this time are the tools I choose to use in applying for or in creating future roles within my profession. This pandemic has also taught me what leaders should do for us while in power. I am learning about the type of leadership we actually need and how much value comes from embracing the roles given to us. It has also given me a better appreciation for the tough decisions those in power have to make. Be honest with yourself with the knowledge you had before all this would you have performed any better if you were in their position?


Finally, as we continue trying to make the best out of this enigmatic season  let us never forget that “It is only in our darkest hours that we may discover the true strength of the brilliant light within ourselves that can never, ever, be dimmed.”
 Doe Zantamata

3 comments:

  1. A very nice read I must say. Many thanks for putting this together and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do the best irrespective of the task ahead.
    Thank you lilylove

    ReplyDelete